1.16.2012

Wednsday

Wednsday:
 Ziv and I were picked up by brother Henderson, an elder in our congregation. He is also a pioneer and likes sharing interesting articles with us. He took my brother and I to an OXXO, which is like a 7/11, and bought us hot chocolate and snacks for lunch. We arrived at the meeting for field service and I was parterend with Sandra L. She and her family moved from L.A. about 1 year 1/2 ago. Ziv was assigned to another brother. Once we reached the territory I started to talk with Sandra about Paradise, and what she looks forward to the most. She said everything. Well, shortly after I switched partners and joined George Avila, another elder who moved from Fresno with his wife. We talked about service, pioneering and other experiences. I like him. He had to tell the sisters something, and while I waited I saw a man walking down the street. He had a cap on, some baggy sweats and looked as if he had just walked 5 miles. Anyways, I stopped him and asked him if he spoke English. He did and though he was breathing heavily, I asked him if he was a Bible reader . NO. But he did say he has an interest in God. I commended him. Then I asked him if he thought mankinds future would get any better. He thought change depended on every individual person.  I pulled out the  January magazines and took him to pages 16 and 17. Since he had never read the Bible before, I asked him if he though the Bible could offer us a glimpse of the future. He wasnt sure, but said, 'Well, yeah, probably.' I read the 4 questions and then asked him if we could read over the first question box together. He agreed and I began to read it, and then read the READ scriptures. After we finished analyzing that I read a final scripture and he welcomed another visit. His name is Tony, and I think he's living with a girlfriend. He lived at the home we had previously knocked at and found no one home. Im glad we stopped him!
For lunch we went to the Avila's home and ate the lunch we had brought and the snacks Merlin H. had bought us. It was pleasant. At 1:15 we had the afternoon service meeting and a car group arranged to do Return Visits. The car group was made up of Ziv, Judy M., Keith B, Benjy P. and myself. I went to two calls in the area and I was able to have a door-step study with a young girl. After doing the calls of some of the others, we went to visit Ruben. He was the man I had spoken to about 2 weeks ago, and I finally was able to take him a Bible. As a last return visit we went to see Peter, the man outside of the bakery. He was sitting outside, like usual, but he looked distant and gloomy. He has nothing, literally. I think he sleeps inside of an old Chinese Restaurant and keeps his backpack with few belongings in a Rehab center. Thats it. No family here, no means of life. Nothing. Well, Keith joined me this time and we both sat next to him. We continued the chapter we had left off on. I noticed that I need to use a louder voice when Im reading with him, because the bakery is on a main street and quantities of people walk by or into the bakery. I found out that he cant read when theres not much light or the words are too small. Well, as we continued studying another man approached him, and tried to interrupt. Peter got upset and said, 'Dont you see Im busy! Gosh!' I thought that was a sing of appreciation. It was cute to see how he was adamant about studying and not being interrupted during those few minutes. I invited him to the meeting and he said he had gone before. I hope he does. Since I had never given him food before, and he hadnt asked for any I gave him some oranges that had been given to me earlier that day. I felt good after studying with him and I was happy to see his sincere interest in learning. That wrapped the day and I was dropped off at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment